Make Your First Impression Count
We have all heard the expression, "You only have one opportunity to make a first impression." While it may be a cliché; it is true. A positive first impression is an important start to building a relationship with your clients. The initial impression will set the tone for the overall experience. After all, the goal is to have a great long-term relationship, so you want to make a great impression from the start. Follow these simple tips to help you get off on the right foot with clients.
Offer a refreshment
Offering refreshments is not only a nice thing to do; it’s memorable and a great way to break the ice.
Make eye contact
Since we were young, we have been told to be polite and make eye contact. That advice goes far beyond simply being polite. Studies show people who maintain eye contact are generally perceived as more reliable, warm, sociable, honest, confident and active.
Focus on the client’s needs
Don’t assume to know what your client needs or wants. You need to ask specific questions to learn more about their individual situations, including financial goals and objectives. Only then are you in a position to provide solutions and the merits of each choice.
If you are not completely comfortable with how you position yourself and the way you communicate your value, it’s probably time to rethink your approach. Clients can sense uncertainty and recognize when you don’t believe in your own message. Be confident in what you offer. If you believe in the benefits and services you provide, so will the client.
Nobody wants to sit through a canned speech. Speak openly and conversationally with the client. This will help create an honest and trustworthy perception in their mind. Talk to them as you would a friend who you’re lending advice. Be humble, be honest and engage them in a conversation by asking for their opinions and thoughts on a specific financial topic. Making it a conversation instead of a lecture will communicate you are genuinely interested in finding the best solutions, and you care about their opinions.
Paint a lasting picture
Connect with your clients' imaginations by painting a picture of an improved financial future. For example, instead of outlining a perspective return on investment, it will be more meaningful if the client can envision how it willal improve their lifestyle in retirement.
Share personal experiences
Let your guard down and share personal experiences. When it comes to financial goals, many people share common concerns, such as saving for a home or retirement. Using personal examples is a great way to break down barriers.
Support your process with facts and statistics
Studies show 65 percent of the population is categorized as visual learners. The remaining 35 percent learn by hearing. That said, your first meeting should include equal measures of materials for both types of learners.
Create a sense of urgency
If clients lack a reason to act now, you will be less likely to persuade them to do anything. Conveying a sense of urgency does not need to involve pressure or deadlines to be effective. Instead, simply show clients the benefits of acting quickly. Contact Iron Point for a no-obligation coaching call on how to make a great impression with your clients.